The truth about back pain

%image_alt%FACTS

  •  80% of the population will experience low back pain at some stage in their life
  • The majority of acute low back pain resolves within a four week period, although recurrence is common A small number of cases become chronic
  • 85% of low back pain is labeled as ‘non-specific ‘ as a definitive radiological diagnosis cannot be achieved The remaining 15% include disorders such as ; a herniated lumbar disc, spondylolisthesis (forward slip), spondylosis (arthritis) and lumbar stenosis (narrowing)

 

Source; O’Sullivan, P. (2005). Diagnosis and classification of chronic low back pain disorders: Maladaptive movement and motor control impairments as underlying mechanism. Manual Therapy 10: 242-255

 

TIPS

  • Get an early diagnosis so an effective treatment plan can implemented
  • Keep active – those with acute low back pain may require periods of rest however those with a chronic problem need to exercise regularly to avoid deconditioning
  • A six week pilates program is effective in reducing pain and disability in chronic low back pain (Rydeard et al, 2005)
  • Specific ‘core stability’ exercises are effective in reducing pain and disability in chronic low back pain (O’Sullivan, 2005)

Leave a Reply